RECENTLY LAUNCHED A SMALL BUSINESS, YOU'RE THINKING OF STARTING A BUSINESS IN THE NEW YEAR, YOU NEED INSPIRATION TO KEEP FROM DROWNING IN THE SORROWS OF YOUR PROGRESSIVELY SLOW BUSINESS
ENTREPRENEURSHIP HAS BEEN YOUR LIFE FOR A WHILE BUT YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE GOING IN CIRCLES BECAUSE NOTHING YOU TRY IS ELEVATING YOUR BUSINESS?
THEN YOU SHOULD KEEP READING, LOVE!
I've been really apprehensive about writing this blog which is why it's taken me so long to post it. I'm no business expert, nor do I have all the answers but what I do have (now) is years of experience as a business owner, tried and true ways of how to pivot my business and head on challenges that have molded me to win, regardless of the odds against me. If you ask me (and maybe a few 100 other entrepreneurs) first hand experience is priceless. I too, am still learning the ropes of entrepreneurship with each progressive day. Granted, while I've surpassed the beginning stages of trial and error, I am constantly seeking various methods on how to pivot, leverage, scale, expand and build capital for the success of my business in a long-term realm vs surface level. Real shit - if you are only interested in achieving a surface level business that generates a few sales here and there and you have no desire for growth, sorry not sorry, this blog isn't for you. So again, I don't have all the answers but I've learned A TON and I'm here to offer assistance to anyone who's as hungry as me to achieve some level of greatness.
I'm an advocate for inspiring people to push past their mental limitations and pursue their dreams - realistically. Because of my desire to see those closest to me slap fear in the face and do the unthinkable, people have witnessed my accomplishments and in return they trust the foundation of my work ethic and the success it has brought me. That trust has given people the confidence of "if she can do it, so can I!" (Which, I absolutely love). Those who follow my journey are now either motivated to start businesses, are inspired by the journey or have already launched a business!
BUT HERE'S THE CATCH...
What most people fail to realize is that - what looks cute on the exterior is not that cute when you're in the midst of it. It's not easy or fun when you have to learn how to generate your own income, manage finances and oversee the growth + longevity of your business. You don't witness the challenges, sleepless nights, the heavy marketing and no sales in return, spending your last dime on products, negative balance checking accounts - seriously, the list of challenges goes on (especially in the beginning)!! Unless someone is handing you the blueprint of success and loads of cash flow every month to get you set up, this journey of entrepreneurship is NO JOKE.
SO NOW WHAT?!
Recently, 3 of my friends became entrepreneurs and launched their businesses. All 3, over different periods of time have asked for advice on creating content, what to do next, why they aren't getting sales, how to generate traffic etc. In short - please understand, "your business is only as consistent as you are". And that's on all levels from marketing, promoting, content, building relationships, collaborating, effectively increasing sales, making connections, it requires EVERY DAY ALL DAY EFFORT. When I first started Nikki&Mallory I treated my business like my last resort to living! I knew that in order to thrive, I would have to dedicate the next 3-5 years of trying God knows what in order to generate traffic, gain brand exposure and finally make some real money. It really takes work, focus, obedience and dedication and most don't realize that until they are in the middle of it. I cannot stress that enough. And if you make a product by hand - it's that much more challenging to get people to believe in your work. Practice, perfect it, and practice some more! This journey of entrepreneurship will teach you what it really means to BE PATIENT!!!
HOW TO SHIFT YOUR BUSINESS MINDSET IN 2021
"Changing your mindset requires focus & intention"
Grab a journal or something you plan to keep. This is where you will write down your goals, visualize them, make them clear, focus on them daily and eventually manifest them. Write down the following questions below (one- by-one), sit with yourself for 30min to 1hr and ask speak each question out loud while taking the time to answer them mindfully and write the answers with intention.
What is your purpose/intention for starting a business? | What are your business goals for the next 1-2 years? | How do you plan to achieve those goals? | Who is your ideal/target audience? | What does your business look like 2 years from now (Imagine it, feel it, believe it) | How much money would you like to generate? (weekly, monthly, yearly) | How much money are you willing to invest in your business? | What other business ideas do you have in mind? How can you pivot if need be? | Would you like to be a full-time entrepreneur or part-time? | What other business related visuals can you use for content besides your actual product (make a list)
POINTS OF FOCUS + THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Greatness does not happen overnight. Stop expecting overnight results
- Nobody knows you or your business! Use your voice or a voice that's relatable to your potential audience. Speak to them. Engage with them. Value them. They do not have to spend their money with you!
- How you connect with people is what generates traffic. How great your product is, comes secondary.
- Don't be afraid to be transparent and add some personality when posting.
- People LOVE to learn something new, LOVE to be inspired, LOVE to feel a connection. Be of service! It's less about what you're selling and more about how you make someone feel + think.
- The quality of your content is EVERYTHING. Take your time with it and make it appealing. Humans are visual. If you post trash content, expect a trash audience and/or trash engagement.
- Posting every day is over rated when nobody is listening. However, being intentional about your message when you do post, makes a difference. If you choose to not post, stay active in your stories.
- Consistency is literally 90% of the work. Especially if you're just starting out. Put in the work, put in the time. Dedicate an hour or a block of hours for your business each day doing SOMETHING (batching content, marketing, newsletters, networking, researching, finding ways to make your business better etc.) whatever your strategy is for growth, be consistent about it. Create a steady flow of energy and that flow of energy will come back to you in sales, engagement, followers - so on and so forth.
- DON'T EVER COPY WHAT THE NEXT PERSON IS DOING. Be it branding, visuals, aesthetics etc. If it's not natural to you and your style, it'll be noticeable. Find your "thing" and stick to it.
- If you are the face of your business let us see you! Let us hear you! If you are not the face of your business, create a voice for the business that keeps you out of that cookie cutter, sales pitchy, 2-5 words caption box of boringness. That shit's not going to help your business.
- Your branding should coordinate across the board. (Website, Social Media, Twitter, Facebook) Period.
- Social media can do the unimaginable for your business (believe it or not). Most of us entrepreneurs and everyday people despise it but will never show it. However, don't sleep on it. It's the most intentional yet FREE tool you have at your disposal. Do NOT take it for granted. Put yourself and/or your business out in the world for people to get to know + love!!!
I'm really hardcore when it comes to business because that is the attitude that continues to kick things into gear and give me the push I need to #keepgoing. It's imperative that people understand how dedicated you have to be when running a business. No one will coddle you, take you by the hand and feeling sorry for yourself will only set you back. Have your moments - we all do! Cry it out - because you will. But more importantly DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOURSELF. Remember why you started or want to start and try hard to stay focused. The best part of this journey is knowing/believing that things can change for the better over night or right before your eyes if you put in the work and stay the course. Not everyone is built for this but should you end up being that person who is - the magnitude of freedom and joy you feel knowing you are SO VERY CAPABLE of creating your own plan vs. living life according to someone else's plan, is beyond liberating.
Hang in there. Believe in yourself like no other. Stop listening to people who don't dream as big as you (they will never understand you). Stay out your head and make waves. I'll be there clapping for you at the finish line because only so few will make it.
~ Xo, Treasure (Nikki&Mallory)